Every one of us has the right to defend ourselves as well as others in case of unpredictable circumstances. Perhaps, the most prominent way to do so is to use a weapon such as a handgun. But, we just can’t buy one because we want to, instead, we have to consider many factors.
And because there are many products offered in the market, you may find it hard to choose among the best handguns. Don’t worry; we got you covered! We compiled items with various size, ammo, ergonomics, price, and safety. Let us find out more about them.
Top Handguns Comparison
|M&P 9M2.0 9MM
|G19 G5 9MM
|WALTHER PPQ M2
|BERETTA M9 PISTOL
|CZ 75 CENTERFIRE
|COLT® 1911 PISTOLS
|M&P SHIELD SEMI-AUTOMATIC
|SIG SAUER P226
|FN FNX-45 TACTICAL
Here is our Selection of 10 Best Handguns for Home Defense
In this guide, we will talk about each product in detail to help you eventually decide which handgun suits you best! Just read on.
1. SMITH & WESSON – M&P 9M2.0 9MM BLACK 4.25″ 17+1
- Color: Black
- Action: Semi-Automatic.
- Cartridge : 9mm
- Barrel Length: 4.25″
- Hand: Ambidextrous
- Round Capacity: 17 + 1Gun Weight: 24.7 oz.
When it comes to reliable handguns, this model from S&W is a great option. Well, it is made with the innovative polymer pistol to maximize durability as well as be more resilient than steel alloy and carbon steel counterparts.
- Build Type: Since it is designed for professional, sporting, and personal use, this weapon won’t fail to provide you with the utmost functionality. Also, it comes in either matte black or (FDE) flat dark earth, giving you the option to choose according to your preference.
- With a barrel length of 4.25 inches and a weight of 1.55 pounds, this handgun is undeniably comfortable to use. This also includes a fixed front sight and a 1 in 10 inches twist. It only implies that the bullet will spin at a faster rate. This ensures the stability of the bullet so you can have better accuracy when shooting.
- Caliber Type: Much more, it comes with three calibers, so you have a wide discretion in which one to use. This has an improved grip, frame, trigger, and finish making it better compared to other models in the market. With this device, you will surely have a faster aim recovery and reduced muzzle rise.
- Also, it provides a crisp, fine-tuned trigger action that makes it an ideal choice for personal protection. This has an audible, tactile reset and offers a lighter pull so you won’t be needing to perform an excessive movement. Well, lesser movement is crucial if every millisecond counts.
- Controlling: Being equipped with an excellent texture on its grip, you are ensured of versatile and controlled handling. This can also give you an optimum 18-degree angle to make sure you’ll have a natural point of aim.
With interchangeable palmswell inserts, from small to large, you can obtain trigger reachability and maximum hand-fit. This only means that regardless of your hand size, this piston will certainly be a good idea!
Features & Benefits
- Polymer platform with a striker-fired mechanism
- A stainless steel chassis with an extended length
- Inserts for four grips that can be interchanged
- A grip angle of 18 degrees is optimal
- Barrel and slide are made from stainless steel
- Two magazines are included
Related Guide: Best Scope Leveling System
2. GLOCK – G19 G5 9MM 15+1 4” FIXED SIGHTS
- Model : 19, GEN 5
- Cartridge : 9 mm Luger
- Capacity : 15+1-round
- Barrel Length : 4.02″
- Finish : Black
- Length : 7.28″
- Magazine Type : Removable
Perhaps, the main reason why you should have this is that it is a Glock 19. From that alone, you are sure that it is an excellent handgun. Well, this is lightweight enough for concealed carry, although large enough in terms of magazine capacity and functional accuracy.
- High Accuracy: Yes, with an accuracy of about 99.99%, this can make shooting more fun and exciting. The trigger uses a compression spring and a polymer spring support that ensures its durability. And since this weighs less, you won’t find it hard to use this, and you are still ensured of a flawless performance.
- Controlling: With an angular grip, this can give you a comfortable hold so you can get the work done with ease. Much more, you can easily manage recoil, especially that the magazine release is situated in an ideal position.
- Build Type Advantage: In terms of concealability, this handgun won’t be left behind. Although it is larger than other models, it comes with a holster that allows you to position the weapon in and out of the waistband or on your belt. Also, it is well-made compared to other holsters that are poorly made so you really can appreciate its function.
- Durability: This comes with a heavy-duty built and a black Melatonite finish, thereby adding to its durability. Adding to its sturdiness is the polymer frame that supports the entire weapon. With this, you are sure to have optimal ergonomics, accuracy, and more.
Considering all of its features, this handgun from Glock is undeniably a reliable one to ensure you of optimum performance!
Features & Benefits
- In the extreme environments and while wearing gloves, the same as G4 grip stippling provides remarkable traction.
- Older magazines can be read without a problem.
- The box contains three (15-rd) rounds.
- The Gen5 is a high performance gun.
- The G19 Gen5 has an ambidextrous slide lock.
3. Walther PPQ M2 Centerfire Pistols
Being chambered in .40 S&W, 99mm, and .45 ACP, this pistol is a good idea not only for personal protection but also for law-enforcement use. This product undoubtedly provides you with reliability and accuracy that it can perform well without the risks of recurring stoppages and malfunctions.
- Shooting Range with Accuracy: In fact, it is tested to shoot up to 15 yards, and it is better compared to the usual 10 yards. Although the trigger press is rated around 6.1 pounds, it is tolerable, and you can still achieve that accurate shot with lesser movement. Also, the press is identifiable and crisp, thereby adding to its precision.
- User Experience: Much more, it travels at a shorter distance so the trigger can be fired at a faster speed. With a smoother press, you won’t find it hard to make transitions between presses as well as adjustments. Its 3.18 inches barrel length allows you to manage and control recoil. This feature also certifies that it is, indeed, for home defense.
- 3-Dot sights Advantage: Much more, the 3-dot sights are made of steel that warrants its durability. However, it should have been bigger or be equipped with night sights to maximize its use in low-light shooting. Don’t worry, though; it’s not really a major concern. Anyway, the adjustable rear sight ensures that it can withstand windage.
- Users Comfortness: Weighing only 23.3 pounds, you can surely carry this with ease. For a gun, it is already an ideal weight, and it can give you comfort. Also, this can help in reducing recoil that can be detrimental to you. Since it is lightweight compared to typical handguns with a maximum weight of 25 ounces, it is perfect for self-defense.
Aside from all the features mentioned earlier, this also offers you optimal capacity, caliber, and ergonomics, so you will never go wrong when you opt for this product!
Suggested Topic: Gun Cleaning Rod Review
4. Beretta M9 Pistol
- Color: Black
- Cartridge: 9mm
- Action: Semi-Automatic
- Barrel Length: 4.9″
- Hand: Ambidextrous
- Round Capacity: 15 + 1Gun Weight: 33.4 oz.
Do you know that this particular weapon has been used by the armed forces of the US? This Italian engineered pistol is not only for men but also for women’s use. So if you want a super safe gun while being accurate and fashionable, this is undoubtedly a good option.
- Build Type: The chrome barrel of 4.9 inches can be maintained easily. It has a corrosion-resistant combat muzzle crown that protects the rifling. This protection is also enhanced with a pinned and recessed cylinder. Also, field stripping is made easy with its disassembly latch.
- Durability: Due to its heavy-duty non-reflective black coating, this can withstand extreme conditions. So even if it is exposed to various elements, it will surely stand for life. With optimum corrosion and wear-resistant finish and an aluminum frame, this ensures you of a lightweight yet durable weapon.
- Verity of usages: Yes, it is a full-sized pistol and quite large compared to other options on this list. This is not recommended as a carry gun, but it is most useful in self-defense. Also, it comes with various appurtenances. Most ammo also runs well in this handgun so you won’t find it hard to look for some.
- Easy Loading: When it comes to loading, this can have up to 15 rounds. However, you can have a separate purchase that can hold up to 30 rounds. Without a doubt, this can give you optimal accuracy, exceptional reliability, and quicker cycle times. Loading is made easier with its single cartridge.
- User Experience: Since the magazine release is reversible, you can surely obtain ease of use, especially that it can accommodate whether you’re left or right-handed. Much more, its Bruniton finish makes it corrosion-resistant so you won’t worry about damage even if it is exposed to extreme conditions.
It looks classy too. This is designed to be sleek so the danger it indicates is offset by its classy appearance. Considering all of its features, it is a good choice of a handgun!
Features & Benefits
- The M9 is reliable and durable.
- It’s a proven design that has been in service for decades.
- You’re carrying the same gun as the US military.
- The M9 will give you peace of mind knowing it won’t fail you when you need it most.
5. CZ 75 Centerfire Pistols
This Czech produced product is popularly known in the market due to its reliability, durable built, and ergonomic design. But, it actually comes with many more features that you will surely love. This won’t be left behind when it comes to quality, functionality, and performance, to name a few!
- Build Type: Before anything else, you should look for the quality of the weapon. This product will surely not fail you as it offers outstanding specs. Since it comes with various models, each of them is designed to complement your desires. It is made with an all-steel construction that ensures a heavy-duty gun.
- Much more, it has a polymer coating making it resistant from scuffs, scratches, and other elements to keep its aesthetics even for a longer period. This may be slightly heavier than other handguns in the market, but it has a better advantage when it comes to controlling the recoil.
- Trigger Type: The trigger system is very robust, consistent, and long-lasting with a double-action single-action mechanism. In case you are not familiar with the mechanism, this means that it is a double-action gun on the first shot and becomes a single-action gun the remaining shots.
- Safety Feature: Furthermore, it has a safety feature, specifically a firing block, that doesn’t let off a round when you drop the gun. This is very important to ensure your safety. Yes, it’s dangerous, if your pistol doesn’t have this feature.
- Accuracy: With this, you are sure that you can make shots effectively. This has a low bore axis that minimizes the recoil so you won’t feel too much force or impact. Also, it will provide you with optimum accuracy as well as excellent shot groups. Adding to its accuracy is the three-dot illuminated sights that it comes with.
Since it is extremely reliable, you can always count on this so you can never go wrong when you choose this!
Features & Benefits
- As near to perfection as a handgun can be in terms of fit, finish, quality, reliability, and accuracy.
- A truly underrated and under the radar company, CZ produces superior products at an affordable price.
- A smooth trigger pull and amazing shots are what make this gun so great.
Suggested Guide: Depriming Tool
6. Colt® 1911 Pistols
- Similar to standard-issue .45 caliber M1911
- Flat main spring housing
- Standard grip safety
- Spur hammer
- Thumb safety
- Lowered ejection port
- High-profile white-dot sights
- Diamond checkered rosewood grips
If you want to ensure the accuracy, power, and reliability of a handgun, the Colt 1911 is a good choice. There are many reasons why this is a firm favorite of a few shooters aside from the mentioned features. Let us find out more!
- Build Type: From the barrel design itself, you are sure that it can provide you with accurate shots. The natural aim and moderate recoil allow adds up to its accuracy. Much more, it has an excellent trigger with a light pull, a short reset, and a clean break. This makes it ideal for tactical training, competitions, and target practice.
- Comfortnesss: Due to its sleek and slim design, as well as outstanding ergonomics, it will be easier for you to handle and grip it even if you have smaller hands. This also makes it ideal as a conceal carry for purposes of self-defense. It may be quite heavy, but it is a good thing when it comes to recoil.
- Much more, it normally uses a .45 ACP ammo (although .22 and 9mm are also available), thereby making it more powerful. Reloading is made easier with just a press of a button. Although disassembly is quite hard for a newbie, repeated practice will surely help make things easier.
- Customizable: Customization is also easier as you can find add-ons, accessories, spare magazines, and parts for 1911 with ease, given their availability in the market. This makes it a good alternative to use as an SHTF sidearm, a range gun, and a weapon for home defense.
Most importantly, it comes with safety features such as a grip safety and a manual slide safety lock. With all of these features, you can be sure that having this will be very useful!
Features & Benefits
- You can customize the grip safety, thumb safety, and hammer to your liking.
- It feels good in your hand – you’ll feel like a badass.
- The Colt® 1991 Government Model Semi-Auto Pistol is for people who value tradition and want something that will last forever.
7. Ruger® GP100® Double-Action Centerfire Revolvers
- Cartridge: .357 Magnum
- Finish: Stainless Steel
- Color: Black Hogue Monogrip
- Model Number: 1705
- ActionBarrel: Single/Double
- Length: 4.2″
- Round Capacity: 6
- Gun Weight: 3.9 lbs.
Moving on, this gun from Ruger is known for its reliability, quality, and accuracy. This may not be the best choice as a concealed carry, but it is prominent for starters and for home defense.
- Build Type Advantages: Anyway, it features a smooth functioning cylinder that is triple-locking, so you won’t find it hard to load and fire. With this, the risk of seizing up or jamming is low. And this is very important in a self-defense scenario. Also, it is equipped with a transfer bar mechanism to maximize safety.
- Since it has Hogue Monogrip cushions, the perceived recoil will less likely be felt. You can also have various caliber options for flexibility of use. It comes with excellent sights to enhance accuracy. This has a good weight distribution so it will be easier for you to carry it.
- Build & Accuracy: It has stainless steel construction and a satin stainless finish, thereby ensuring its durability. With a weight of 42 pounds, this may be quite heavy compared to other handguns in the market, but it doesn’t compromise accuracy. This has a capacity of 10 rounds so you can have fewer shots without having to replace the magazine.
Also, you are sure that you can have a solid performance being engineered as an excellent handgun. This will make it comfortable for you to shoot because of its recoil-reducing grip. With all of its great features, it comes at an affordable price, so it’s a win-win! Having this is indisputably worth it!
Features & Benefits
- Strong, durable construction that is built to last.
- Adjustable rear sight to accurately aim and shoot.
- Feel confident in your gun’s accuracy with a Hogue Monogrip.
- Built on a medium/heavy frame of stainless steel to withstand recoil from heavy 357 loads.
8. Smith & Wesson- M&P Shield Semi-Automatic
- Cartridge: 9mm.
- Action: Semi-Automatic.
- Barrel Length: 3.1″.
- Hand: Right.
- Description: Includes 7 round flush fit mag.
- Round Capacity: 8+1.Gun Weight: 19 oz.
Perhaps, this handgun is a good choice, especially that it comes from a renowned manufacturer of guns, the S&W. With its long history of providing both pros and newbies of reliable guns, this model surely ensures the same feature too.
- Build Type: This semi-automatic weapon comes in matte black and FDE, so you have the option for the looks of your gun. Anyway, both of them have the same functions. With a longer barrel length, you won’t be having a hard time carrying this. It is compact enough to use this for your shooting activities.
- Much more, it is equipped with a 1 in 10 inches twist, so you are sure that the bullet travels quickly. Since the front sight is already fixed, you no longer need to purchase separately. Also, being quite lightweight, it can be carried anywhere with ease.
- Magazine Type: With this, you can obtain 17+1 rounds. It only means that you can use this for fewer shots. This comes with 2 removable magazines too. So whenever you run out of the bullet, you can immediately change another magazine so you won’t be needing to reload the current one.
- It can also give you 3 caliber choices, in case you want to try others aside from the 9mm. Unlike the older models, it has a lot of improvements, such as its frame, grip, trigger, and finish. You can be sure that this product is durable enough to withstand extreme conditions. This can be certainly used for a longer period.
Since it has a crisp and fine-tuned trigger action, this is ideal for personal defense. You can easily pull this since it is made to be lighter. Also, handling is not hard, especially that this product promotes manageability and versatility. With all of its features, this is worth a try!
Features & Benefits
- No external hammer to catch on clothing when carried concealed.
- Thin 1″ profile aids with concealment.
- Comfortable grip for increased accuracy and precision.
9. Sig Sauer P226 Semi-Auto Pistols
A favorite among gun enthusiasts, these pistols are sure to impress you. They have the build and efficiency that will be able to meet all your needs, whether it be for hunting or shooting competitions.
- Build Type & Variations: There are three models you can choose from the P226 Nitron, the P226 Extreme Semi-Auto 9mm, or the RX Semi-Auto Pistol with ROMEO1 Reflex Sight 9mm. All three of these models are built with heavy-duty metal alloys to assure they last longer and handle the wear and tear of frequent use.
- They operate using a double-action/single-action design and come with 3 controls for easier handling, including a slide stop, a magazine release, and a decocker. Much more, these pistols are constructed with a black frame made of anodized aluminum and have a steel slide coated with Nitron.
- Weather Guard: This design ensures that it will be able to perform well, even under harsh weather conditions. Their frame also features Picatinny rail, which is easily compatible with several mounts and optics.
- Shooting & Accuracy: Their firepower can pack a punch too. And they can significantly boost your shot’s accuracy to make sure you hit your target. Safety features are also incorporated in the design, including a firing pin block and also a hammer block that prevents accidental triggering when carrying it.
- Advantage of Sights: Furthermore, they are equipped with the SIGLITE night sights, which provide rapid sight under low-light conditions and can even perform well in total darkness. There is also an eye relief feature to make it more comfortable to use even for long hours.
- Comfortness: When it comes to handling, you won’t be having any trouble because they’re all designed to be lightweight. Not unnecessary weight will be getting in the way of your hunting or shooting game.
Overall, these pistols are impressive, and you won’t be going wrong with whichever model you choose.
Features & Benefits
- Safely and easily fieldstrip without tools, saving you time.
- Reliable firearm for home defense, concealed carry, and professional use.
- Built to last with high quality materials.
- Get the same gun as a Navy SEAL.
- It’s perfect for anyone who wants to have fun while shooting or hunting
10. FN FNX-45 Tactical
If the budget is not really your concern and you want the best one in the market, this handgun from FN is an ideal choice. Anyway, it is worth the investment given all the features that it can provide you. Let us find out some of these!
- Build Type & Variations: You have 2 options when it comes to its color — black or FDE. This is cold hammer-forged, so you are ensured of smoothness without compromising its durability. It also comes with a threaded barrel so you can mount a sound suppressor or flash, an added bonus to make sure that it performs at its maximum.
- Sights Mount: Much more, it includes a tactical feature, specifically two mounting bases, so that you can place various red dot sights that enhance your accuracy. And you can mount it even without getting rid of the night sights. With this alone, you are allowed to co-witness, and you don’t have to purchase a separate one.
- Magazine Type: More excitingly, it has the largest capacity with 15 rounds magazines. And this product includes 3 of them so you can readily replace each after finished shots. Well, it is a good option if you’re into target shooting, competitive shooting, and self-defense. This is also ideal as a car gun, combat pistol, or an SHTF sidearm.
- Build Type Advantage: It is a double-action/single-action gun, so you are ensured of an accurate and reliable weapon. This includes an excellent trigger, although its reset is longer than what is required. Moreover, it comes with slide stop, mag release, and safety or decocker since the controls are entirely ambidextrous.
Indeed, it is not lightweight, unlike any other products found in this list. However, you can still get an accurate shot due to its weight as well as its natural grip angle and low bore axis. So if you’re not really into red dots or suppressors, the FNX-45 is undeniably a good option.
How to Choose best handguns for home defense
Here are just some of the main considerations that you should think about when choosing the right handgun for you. Let’s also find out more!
Yes, there may be other powerful handguns that you can opt for. But if you choose the 9mm pistol, you are sure that it is made for self-defense. This means that if your main purpose of having this gun is for personal protection, then this is the ideal caliber.
With this, you can obtain optimum power as well as minimize recoil so you can hit the target with accuracy. Much more, you won’t find it hard to look for its ammo because its availability is widespread. And you are sure that it will be within your budget as it is not that costly.
Handguns also vary depending on its round capacity. Usually, they can hold 6 rounds. However, it ranges from 5 to 7 rounds.
You may wonder why other guns reached more than the mentioned rounds. These are actually semi-automatic pistols that allow for a broader range dependent upon the round stacking and the caliber.
Perhaps, this kind of handgun is a good idea if you want something that can provide you with a greater round count. Also, this is the best option if you are a beginner or with limited shooting experience.
Size and Weight
These features are mainly crucial for your comfort. If you want a weapon that is easy and comfortable to carry, look for one that is lightweight and comes with a compact size.
Don’t ever opt for a handgun that is large enough, and you cannot even carry it with confidence. Of course, your comfort is also linked with accuracy. If you’re good at holding it with ease, then you will most likely aim at your target. This also ensures the reliability of getting the work done.
Much more, a compact handgun will make it easier for you to conceal it wherever you go or at least when keeping it at home. This can also allow you to have one hand free so you can carry a flashlight or open the door even when you’re holding it.
So when choosing a handgun, make sure that it has the appropriate size and weight that fits your needs and preferences.
This is a very important aspect of having a gun. Well, everyone perceives guns as dangerous. But if you take caution and your gun itself has its safety features, then you will less likely meet accidents.
With this, you are sure that you won’t have trouble with accidental discharge. This is also crucial, especially if you receive lots of visitors or you have children at home. Take into account features such as hammer blocks, transfer bars, manual safety, drop safety, and grip safety.
It may not be true to all, but crimes are likely committed at night or in dimly lit areas. If this is the case, there is no use of having a gun if you cannot even see what you’re firing. This is when the importance of sights come in.
You may consider having night sights to add in your gun so you can have accurate shots even in the mentioned conditions. Not all night sights may be compatible with your model. Also, your gun may not accept such an accessory. Or, if it accepts such sights, it may be only limited to a particular model.
So if you choose a handgun, you must consider its compatibility to night sights and also its flexibility and availability so you won’t find it hard to look for one that suits it.
Not all guns that are expensive are actually ideal for you. In fact, the price is not an indication of its quality. There are many low-priced items that also come with the optimum quality, so you won’t always have to spend great just to get the best.
In choosing one, you should also consider your budget. Well, it is always a good idea to be practical. Of course, see to it that its price is also reasonable given its features.
The construction of your gun is also a main consideration. Most guns are made of aluminum alloys. This is a lightweight material with the strength and resistance from corrosion, so you are ensured of long-term use.
Also, others come with an anodized coating that ensures its resistance from scuff, scratches, abrasion, and discoloration. Well, durability is always linked to the materials of the product. So if you’re going to choose one, make sure it offers this feature.
So before buying a weapon, make sure that you are familiar with it. Also, you should have proper training and practice to ensure reliable and safe use. This is not a feature that you should look for, but a necessity before everything else.
In order for you to know how, you should be equipped with proper training. Also, if you practice using it, you will certainly enjoy all the features the handgun you have chosen offers.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main difference between the two weapons is the effect when the trigger is pulled. With a single-action pistol, the hammer is simply dropped upon the pull of the trigger. On the other hand, the hammer cocks and drops when a double-action pistol is used.
Actually, it does not. This can be explained by the fact that recoil is merely an impact felt after the round.
A handgun is considered as a small firearm, including a pistol and a revolver. This means that not all handguns are considered pistols. While a pistol is always considered as a handgun.
It depends. You should first check the law of the place where your house is situated. The possession of firearms may or may not be allowed by your State.
Look for the safety features of the gun you choose. Usually, the guns in the list are equipped with these features, so it won’t be dangerous to own one, or any accidental discharges will be avoided.
If you’re looking for a weapon, make sure that you consider features such as reliability, accuracy, and safety. You should not rely merely on what is in, instead, opt for one of the best handguns mentioned in the list to give you an optimum shooting experience.
Hopefully, after scanning through the pages, you already have one in mind!