Given that a camera can require a good bit of monetary investment,
it becomes quite essential to choose a worthy camera which you wouldn’t have to replace for at least a few coming years.
Let’s help you shortlist the best from all the camcorders available in the market.
The best hunting video cameras listed here are:
- Canon VIXIA HF G20 HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro
- Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 Handycam Camcorder
- Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder
- Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Video Recording Camcorder
- Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder
Best Camera To Film Your Own Hunts Comparison 2019
|Name||Optical Zoom||Display Size||Interested?|
|Canon VIXIA HF R800||32x||3 in|
|Canon VIXIA HF G20||10||3.5 in|
|Sony 4K FDRAX33 Handycam||10x||3 in|
|Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Camcorder||20x||3 in|
|Canon XA11 Camcorder||20x||-|
5 Top Camera To Film Your Own Hunts Reviews 2019
1. Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder
Key features of Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder:
Let’s have a closer look at the key features of Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder.
- Pocket-friendly: Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder (Black) is way within $500 bar, making it ideal for the novice uses who would like to have a decent enough camcorder. It is one of the lowest costing camcorders in Canon’s line up. Yet, there might not be many low budget cams that offer features and functionality as this one. Further points would clarify this.
- Intelligent Stabilization system: the technology offers some good bit of image stabilization. Moreover, the SuperRange optical image stabilization packed in the camcorder enables users to shoot good quality as well as sharp videos in low light conditions. It can be helpful even when you are doing the shot handheld, without a tripod or camera stand.
- Full HD recording: With Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder, you can shoot full HD videos of 1920 x 1080.
- Instant Turn on/turn off feature with LCD flip: VIXIA HF R800 would turn on and off soon as you flip the 230,000-pixel 3 inch LCD panel open or close. This, as well as all other features, make the video recorder pretty easy to understand and operate.
- Other specs and features: It comes with an HDMI Mini Connector. This would be helpful in getting good quality when hooking this camcorder directly to an HDTV. Also, there is an external microphone jack as well as a headphone jack that you can use to monitor the audio and sound quality of your shoot. It can record in MP4, ideal for uploading to social media or such.
- Upgrade in the series: The camera also is upgraded in the sense that it features Slow & Fast Motion Recording as well as Highlight Priority Mode. This makes some real difference in the quality of the video. In fact, it creates some HDR-like effect. Further, it helps grab the details in high brightness areas.
- Pre REC Function: Now this is a pretty interesting functionality of this cam. It can record the previous 3 seconds. With many camcorders or video recorders, the shoot starts after a second or two after the click or press start. However, with the Pre REC Function, you can be sure that you won’t miss any action while pressing the record button. So this is a good option to have in a low budget device.
2. Canon VIXIA HF G20 HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro and 32GB Internal Flash Memory
There are a lot more factors which make us put this one in the top of the list.
Key features of Canon VIXIA HF G 20:
Discussed below are the major features and highlights of Canon VIXIA HF G 20.
- Great to shoot with during low lighting conditions: Canon VIXIA HF G 20 does an incredible job when you have to record during low lighting conditions. This one boasts of about a 20% improvement in low-light performance- if you’re not sure, it is huge! The improvement covers dynamic light range flexibility, a considerable increase in the ability of light-capture as well as an enhanced gradation. In fact, most of the other video cameras available around this range (even above this range, in some cases) seldom match the performance of this piece from Canon.
- High-quality images with eight-blade iris: VIXIA HF G 20 from Canon has eight-blade iris, which make bokeh appear circular and smooth. It enables a camera to capture the subject perfectly with a butter-smooth background. Moreover, it packs a DIGIC DV III image processor aiding in great color accuracy and a considerable reduction in noise. The cam records in 1920 x 1080 HD- so expect videos that you will be proud of, with hardly any details missed.
- Broader field view: In comparison to the others in its class, VIXIA HF G 20 has a broader field view. This would mean that as you shoot your hunts, you will be able to capture somewhat more of the surrounding or scene, making it beautiful too.
- Striking audio quality with an external mike: Canon VIXIA HF G 20 packs an external Mic Jack which significantly improves the sound options and quality in the videos recorded by it. With its Dolby Digital 2-channel (AC-3) stereo sound, it can give head-on competition to most of its competitors. So well, you know, you can use it to capture your favorite concerts too!
- Easy-use LCD screen: the 3.5 inches LCD screen in the camcorder can easily pop out and would be pretty easy to use even with screen glare. The screen incorporates touch and track system with which users can maintain the focus on the subject. It can be quite helpful in clearly recording your hunt.
- Upgraded lens: The improved lens of Canon VIXIA HF G 20 controls any possible glare and comes with Dynamic SuperRange optical image stabilizer. The lens has a focal length of 4.25-42.5mm and Zoom Ratio: 10x Optical/40x/200x in movie mode. Also, there are three variable zoom speeds. The focusing system allows variable auto-focus options as well as lens focus.
- Budget-friendly: The product is way under the $1000 line and for what it offers, we might call it inexpensive.
- Memory: The cam comes with 32 GB internal memory and two card slots- capture it all!
3. Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 Handycam Camcorder
Check out its features to know more.
Key features Sony 4K FDRAX33 Handycam:
Here are the main features of the Sony 4K FDRAX33.
- HD recording: As we mentioned earlier, this one sets a new standard in the video recording area. Sony 4K FDRAX33 can record full HD at 30p, 24p, 60p. Actually, 4 times the average Full HD- you can shoot 4k @ 3840 x 2160 pixels. Basically, you can zoom or crop your footage and despite that can maintain full HD quality. Further, you can record HD in AVCHD.
- The BOSS technology: If you have been looking into the camcorder and related technologies for any length of time, you probably have heard of Balanced Optical SteadyShot technology or BOSS from Sony. The thing essentially makes steady-shots about 13 times better in comparison to the average ones. Now, Sony decided to put this very technology into its 4K FDRAX33 Handycam Camcorder. No wonder it is in the top hunting video camera list, huh?
- Smaller and lightweight: The device is ideal for light users and beginners in the view that it is relatively tinier with a smaller, lightweight frame.
- 3” Xtra Fine LCD screen: This 4K Handycam Camcorder packs the easy pop Xtra Fine LCD screen. It’s a touchscreen and designed in an easy to use manner. The EVF Viewfinder ensures accurate image preview.
- Competitive specs with NighShot Infrared: At its price, this 4k cam from Sony has kind of too much to offer. Though the sensor is not as strong as its ancestor, AX100, its features somewhat make up for that. Well, the sensor isn’t that weak anyway. In addition to its advanced image stabilization technology, it packs NightShot Infrared to make shooting at night much better and a 26.8 mm to 268 mm lens (with 20x extended zoom). It has manual controls for easy customization. Further, it offers solid connectivity through Wi-Fi, NFS, etc.
- Budget-friendly: As mentioned before, FDRAX33 is the whole package. When put against its predecessors, Sony 4K FDRAX33 is way more pocket-friendly. As an under $1000 camcorder, it makes the remarkable HD recording package more accessible.
4. Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Video Recording Camcorder
So, needless to say, it simply came out as one of the best in the brand’s high-end 4k line-up. The camcorder is an ideal combination of all-round video shooting capacity, a range of portability and customization options as well as a high-resolution output.
Key features of Sony FDRAX53/B 4K:
Let’s take a closer look at the main features of FDRAX53/B 4K camcorder.
- Upgraded BOSS technology: As we discussed above, Balanced Optical SteadyShot technology makes steady-shots about 13 times better in comparison to the average ones. The BOSS in FDRAX33 itself had been powerful and one of the best stabilization systems that the line-up had ever seen. The upgrade, of course, takes the ‘best’ factor even further. If you are more into moving around a lot and shooting, the upgraded Optical Stabilization system is something you would totally love. The output you see after filming will leave you impressed and proud!
- LCD Touch controls: The 3” LCD screen with 921,000 dots will offer you the kind of clarity and resolution that can give you a detailed look of the film without having to project and check it. The screen size and design are just perfect- big enough to give the details and small enough to be portable.
- Manual controls: Though many of the settings can be controlled through touch-screen, the device also offers a certain degree of manual control as well. A wide range of settings is customizable manually with the control ring available to the side.
- WhiteMagic: This is a new feature introduced with FDRAX53/B 4K. With this feature, you won’t have to struggle with visibility while you are amid a shoot in strong daylight conditions. This feature is bliss for users who find sun rays frequently troubling their shoot.
- Dual Footage Output: This option is quite preferable as well as helpful for professional users, especially the ones having concerns regarding getting the best possible output. With FDRAX53/B 4K, there is the Dual Footage output option with which you can shoot in different formats and can even compare the footages simultaneously, side by side. It can be a time saver. This is because you wouldn’t have to spend as much time perfecting the footage. The output would be quite resource-intensive though.
- Upgraded lens: The lens used in Sony FDRAX53/B 4K is from Carl Zeiss, similar as used in FDRAX33, only upgraded with the new Vario-Sonnar T in the series. With it, you will be getting a focal length of something like 27.mm and a zoom range of 20x for the 4K footage. Even the raw output quality gets better, given that it totally eliminates glare reflection trouble. So, for the price, users will have access to a premium lens.
5. Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder
Key features of Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder:
Let’s see the core feature of the last best video camera for hunting filming- Canon XA11.
- 3.5” OLED Touch screen: The camcorder packs a 3.5” OLED touch panel view screen with a resolution as high as 1,560,000-dot. You’re going to have a very detailed view. Also, it has got a color electronic viewfinder.
- Manual as well as automatic controls: Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder comes with auto-control and modes for various features which include shutter speed, focus, exposure, gain, and white balance.
- Image stabilization: This pro-grade camera includes Canon’s Dynamic IS (Image Stabilization) powered by Canon’s high-speed Digic DV 4 image processor. The system would provide the kind of image stabilization you would love.
- The advanced shoot features:
- Other major features: Apart from the features which are mentioned above, many more options are available which includes adjustable zoom settings at fast, normal, slow, variable and constant paces. Further, the detachable part on the top has got a set of controls which includes a tally light, IR emitter, accessory shoe and two XLR connectors with phantom power, and a zoom toggle. It also has the pre-shoot feature as discussed earlier. Moreover, there also are audio related controls including record start/stop, external mic holder, manual audio level controls, etc. The Intelligent battery system makes it easier for users to keep track of the time that is remaining.
- Wi-Fi remote control: With Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder, users have the option to remotely control the important functions of the camcorder wirelessly with the aid of the Wi-Fi Remote control options.
- 20x optical zoom lens: The camcorder packs an optical zoom lens which comes with a zoom range of 26.8 to 576mm. Further, with the iris is improvised and more circular, making the non-focused areas of your output impressively smooth and appealing.
- Multi-language support: About 27 languages are supported by Ukrainian, Arabic, Farsi, Greek, English, Spanish, French, Czech, Danish, German, Italian, Hungarian, Malay, Portuguese, Romanian, Finnish, Swedish, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Turkish, Russian, Thai, Chinese (simplified characters), Chinese (traditional characters), Korean, as well as Japanese. This range of language support makes it widely usable and helpful for non-English speakers.
Frequently Asked Questions about Top Camcorders to film Hunting (FAQs)
Let’s looks at some common questions we receive related to best hunting filming
1. What camera is best for filming your own hunts?
Answer: You can select any of the camcorders listed above based on your budget and experience level.
If you are a pro level user, Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder and similar cameras with advanced features should be your preference.
Else, if you are just a beginner or light user, you can go with any of the budget-friendly ones listed above.
You can refer the next question to see the factors to consider while finalizing a hunting camera.
2. Is it okay to use the regular camera for filming the hunts?
Answer: It’s totally up to you. No one’s stopping you if you’d like to use your normal camera for hunt shooting.
However, it won’t give the output you might expect. If you are just casually shooting your hunts now and then,
it’s alright to stick with your normal camera.
But if you are a pro user willing to make great films of your pro hunts, it’s good to have a camcorder that can create the kind of result you (and others) would love.
3. What are some important factors to consider while buying cameras for shooting hunts?
Answer: Here is a quick list of factors to keep in mind while you are hunting for a hunting camera.
Compactness: The weight and size of the camera you are using would matter amid filming hunt. There might already be a lot that a hunter would have to carry. Plus, as a hunter, you’ll have to move around a lot.
Battery: Typically, a camera battery should last at least 8-10 hours. The longer the better.
Zoom: The zoom should be in accordance with the distances you shoot. Bow-hunter might need just 10X zoom, while rifle shooters might need about 20X zoom, as they shoot over long distances.
Remote control: Many cameras nowadays have a remote control feature. It makes controlling the camera much easier.
Performance in Low light conditions: As a hunter, you might need to film in different environments and lighting conditions. Check the low light performance of the camera before you finalize it.
Microphone: Many of the modern-day cameras have microphones built-in. The quality may differ for different models. It would be a good idea to check it beforehand too.