If you are here, you probably have decided to get a .40 cal pistol. In this article, we have discussed the top five. 40 pistols available in the market.
Finalizing a pistol to keep at home or to carry for self-defense is, well, an important decision.
With so many alternatives available out in the market with various features and capacities, you might find deciding on one somewhat hard. So let’s help you out here.
But well, note that this review is strictly based on our research and experience. The preference, choice, and comfort may vary from person to person.
5 Best 40 Cal Pistol For The Money Reviews
Here are some of the best. 40 cal pistol to help you shortlist.
1. KAHR ARMS CW40 3.6 IN 40 S&W MATTE STAINLESS 6+1RD
A brand is a brand, and for a reason. Kahr Arms is best at designing and producing the sleek, slim-design guns. When you decide to get a Kahr Arms Pistol, you can have a rough idea of the quality.
This one from Kahr is a small handy pistol that you’d probably end up loving. When you want a pistol that’s easy and smooth to carry around, we bet this is one of the best. Anyway, don’t let its small structure fool you.
This metallic Kahr Arms pistol offers a decent enough performance with a great grip and a pretty solid trigger. Its sturdiness is another factor that steals away the heart. Plus, any average person would love the metallic look coming with that stainless steel finish!
- Stainless Steel Mag and Slide- Kahr Arms Cw40 3.6 inches .40 pistol come in a Matte Stainless steel finish. The metallic looks would appeal many. Moreover, the addition of steel in the polymer body only adds to the durability of this little Kahr Arms pistol.
- Lightweight- The Kahr Arms 3.6” .40 cal stainless steel pistol is pretty lightweight and easy to move around, thanks to its small polymer structure. Moreover, these days, there is a relatively greater preference for concealed carry arms. If you too would like a pistol that you won’t attract too much of attention, Kahr Arms 3.6” pistol would be something you can consider.
- Durability- despite its lightweight, small structure, this Kahr Arms pistol is highly durable. As discussed above, with the steel insertion, the frame only gets a level more durable. Of course, when you are buying a safety gun investing a couple of hundreds, you should be looking for something that can stand the test of time or, in other words, is sturdy. Use it and you will know that every penny you spent over it is just worth it.
- Performance- This pistol comes with a 7lb trigger. While the lightweight factor makes it really easy to shoot with, the solid trigger, comfortable grip, and adjustable combat sights only add to the convenience of using the Kahr Arms pistol. Thus, at its price, the Kahr Arms pistol delivers a great performance. You can work it up to 6 rounds which is a good enough deal for a pistol that small and smooth.
- Point and shoot feature- This Kahr Arms Pistol is designed with a useful ‘point and shoot’ feature. This feature is quite useful both in case of safety shooting matters or from a safety point of view, as well as when you are trying and practising to improve your target shooting skills.
2. FN – FNX-40 4IN 40 S&W BLACK 10+1RD
FN is more or less a gun designer and manufacturer that an average gun enthusiast would love. The brand holds a solid reputation for building weapons that stood the test of time as well as of battles.
While FNX 40 is no hard battle weapon, we can expect that reputable quality from this little pistol. FN FNX 40 .40 cal pistol is a big package of features that users tend to end up loving.
The pistol is designed for a strain-free, easy and convenient use. In addition to having a strong and durable construction, it comes with ambidextrous controls or features and safety Let’s see some of the features that make FN FNX 40 the best .40 cal pistol.
- Convenience features- We mentioned earlier that any average gun user would love this gun. The feature of this gun has a huge role to play in the impact that it creates. The best thing about FN – FNX-40 4IN .40 cal gun is that its features are ambidextrous- i.e., the controls and features are set in a way that you can use it with both right and left hands. So no matter which side you are best with, you’ll find it comfortable using FNX 40. Yet another convenience feature is replaceable steel rail. A bit less to worry about pistol servicing. The accessory mounting rail (MIL-STD) coming with the pistol would allow users to make some accessory additions as they prefer.
- Quality make and structure- FN FNX-40 comes in a polymer construction. Since most others that we have talked about in this review comes with the polymer structure, you might think it’s no new deal. We have chosen the durable ones for the list, anyway, and most of them come in polymer body. Well, FNX uses a kind of reinforced polymer frame- something that makes the already durable polymer material even sturdier. Further, the slide is made up of stainless steel. Given that slide is the part that you will be moving the most, it is a thoughtful improvisation.
- Capacity- FN FNX 40 .40 cal pistol comes with a capacity of 10 rounds. It is the basic capacity of this model. It is sufficient if and when you face a threatening situation. However, if you feel the need for greater capacity, you still have the choice of ordering the gun with extra magazines.
3. GLOCK – G22 4.49IN 40 S&W GAS NITRIDE 15+1RD
There are various factors and features that makes Glock G22 stand out from the crowd of pistols available in the market. The pistol offers some of the smoothest performance.
Lightweight and compact, Glock G22 is designed to be the best. Glock has, moreover, given particular attention on the safety factor with G22 .40 Cal pistol.
Compared to the magazine capacity of many of pistols of this size and range, Glock’s G22 .40 cal pistol is a winner. The capacity, in fact, is one of the major plus points of this Glock gun, making it one of the best.
40 cal pistol for money! After all, who wouldn’t love a tiny pistol which can fit within a palm and of this capacity?
- Lightweight and easy to use- Glock G22 4.49 inches .40 pistol weighs just about 23 ounces (without the bullets). Clearly, it is a handy, lightweight pistol- one of the most lightweight ones, in fact. You’d hardly be aware of its presence, should you ever decide to carry it around- no questions of it weighing you down.
- Performance- Glock G22 4.49 inches .40 cal S&W Gas Nitride pistol delivers a great performance. Moreover, Glock offers a much higher number of firing rounds when put against several others. It can fire as many rounds as 15, which is pretty low for a gun of this size and especially looking at its price range. This factor makes it an ideal choice for people preferring a decent safety gun with great capacity in an affordable range. As discussed before, it is a lightweight pistol, further adding to the convenience of usage. The best part is, despite its light body, Glock is amazingly durable.
- Smoother and better grip: When using safety guns, it is important that you have a good, comfortable grip. A notable difference that this firearm has when compared to the previous models is the grip zone. Users, at large, review that their experience with G22’s grip has been good and they find it easier to use. The grip angle in this model is steeper, which adds to the convenience and comfort of the user.
- Design- Glock G22 4.49 inches .40 pistol is designed as one of the sleekest models. While its appearance might not vary too much from other arms available from Glock’s G series, it still is unique in a way. From distinct engraving and designs to its lightweight polymer frame, everything about Glock G22’s design is cool.
- Great Safety feature- Those who pay extra attention to the safety factor everywhere would end up just loving this one. This .40 cal gun comes with a great safety system- the safe action trigger system. Here is how the system works- the shooter would need to pull the trigger right from the center so as to fire the gun. This way, there would be much lower chances of accidental shooting or discharge in many cases.
4. CZ USA – CZ P09 DUTY 4.53IN 40 S&W BLACK POLYCOAT Review
The CZ USA – CZ P09 comes with a with a full-size polymer frame. CZ P09 pistols featuring Omega triggers are much simpler and straightforward.
You don’t need a lot of experience to handle this system and no doubt, it is easier to disassemble. The standard system will be suitable for only for those who are planning to do a lot of aftermarket internal work.
The CZ USA – CZ P09 a full-size polymer frame offering, boasting an impressive 19+1 (9mm) capacity in its flush-fitting magazine.
Modern polymers are stronger than steel. Although most of the guns come with the traditional metal frames, P09 is made of modern polymer frames. They are much advantageous due to a number of reasons.
- Rust and Corrosion – One of the main advantage, when the pistol is made of polymer frames, is they are more resistant from rust and corrosion. Although some pistols are made with the most modernized and advanced steel, yet they are easily prone to rust when they are exposed to moisture and eventually corrodes. However, this is not the case with P09. It is one of the best 9mm service pistols.
- Weight- When it comes to weight, CZ P09 pistols which are polymer framed are significantly lighter than the typical metal framed pistols. In fact, these pistols weigh just 1.85 lbs when it is unloaded. Just like featherweight so, your hands will not feel the pain though you hold it for longer. This is not the case with the other counterparts. They are pretty heavy and you can very well since the weight and pressure in your hands.
- Greater Accuracy – Since CZ P09 pistols weigh way lesser, they typically have lesser muzzle rise thus resulting in greater accuracy. You have the least chances to miss the target with the P09 pistols because of the low muzzle rise. It helps you to give the strongest grip, therefore you can be a great shooter with perfect accuracy
- Cost–Effective models- Since these frames are made of polymers, which are readily available and easy to use, they are not as expensive as the metal pistols. Although few models like the HKs tend to be pretty expensive yet they are obviously worth for the money because of the wonderful features and the strongest grips it offers to the user.
- Trigger System – They are featured with versatile Omega trigger system which is one of the most robust variations. Although there are lots of systems to choose from these days, yet omega is rising in trend when compared to the standard systems. The standard system has its own cons like, not simple and easy to handle and similarly when it comes to disassembling, they are not user-friendly rather bit tricky.
5. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY – XD MOD.2 4IN 40 S&W BLACK 12+1RD
Known for the most compact firearms, SPRINGFIELD ARMORY – XD MOD.2 is one of the best and finest compact form firearms.
A pretty popular gun that is most preferred by individuals to hold it for safety and security on a daily basis. It has recently undergone loads of changes in a quite short span of time.
- SPRINGFIELD ARMORY – XD MOD.2 redesign of an existing model – Since restrictions for carrying handguns for protection has been removed, gun culture is on a steady rise and SPRINGFIELD ARMORY introduced another model to the series which is the SPRINGFIELD ARMORY – XD MOD.2 4IN 40 S&W BLACK 12+1RD. One of the beauties of this model is its compactness. Compact pistols are better than full-size for concealed carry. They have shorter barrels which are typically 4-inch sizes with really good workings.
- Grip Zone – A very slim gun. One of the noticeable difference in this firearm, when compared to the previous models, is the grip zone. It has a very highly textured back strap and front strap on either side of the gun. When you put fingers on it, it falls perfectly on the grip zone giving the user the strongest grip with the firearm. After loading the magazine when you try to shoot the target, it would feel a lot more like a single stack than you imagine. But in actual reality, they are featured as double stack magazine. Because of the versatile texture, you will not sense the exact pressure of the double stack. So wonderful and flexible to every user.
- Double Stack Provision – SPRINGFIELD ARMORY – XD MOD.2 4IN 40 S&W BLACK 12+1RD is a double stack firearm. In this, the rounds go into the magazine staggered and are side by side. Although this model looks very similar to the single stack magazine, yet they are a little wider. Apparently, this extra width provides the firearm to produce more rounds. When you are in self-defense situations and if you have the habit of using a single stack magazine, you will be in real trouble when you don’t have a backup magazine. However, this is not the case with SPRINGFIELD ARMORY – XD MOD.2, they are double stacked and you can have more rounds in your gun.
- Industry’s slimmest Pistols – It weighs only 27.5 ounces. Very easy to carry and hence provides greater accuracy due to reduced muzzle rise. The muzzle is plain and it provides brilliant ergonomics and stern firepower in an amazingly concealable full sized handgun. To be honest, the Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 is a slimmest, short-barrel, full-power handgun. You can have a really exciting and pleasant experience while handling and using the gun.
How should I find the best .40 cal pistol that suits me?
As we mentioned in the initial part, deciding on a safety pistol can be complicated. Comfort and preferences may change from person to person.
Hasting the decision would mean that you would probably end up spending several hundred dollars on a pistol that you might not be able to comfortably use.
Now, let’s give you a rough idea on selecting your ideal .40 pistol. There might be a different point of views you can consider to decide on an arm.
For example, petite guns like that of Kahr Arms 3.6 inch one might not be the top recommendation for people who’d like to use or have practiced with heavier ones.
So will be the case for those who have big palms. It might be just uncomfortable. However, it might be just fine for those who are looking for a small concealed carry.
Also, consider how exactly are you going to keep or use the gun. See whether you will be carrying it around as a safety gun or you are purchasing a pistol to leave at home.
In the former case, you might want to go for smaller, lightweight guns. Otherwise, if you’re buying one for house safety, you can consider even bulkier ones since you don’t have to unnecessarily carry it around.
Budget is yet another criterion. You consider the budget factor for just everything- so why not with pistols too! However, it’s better to not go for what looks like the ‘cheapest’. It’s a matter of your safety.
The list provided here has some of the best .40 cal pistols for the money. You can use it as a reference. See which of these have the features that you are looking to have in the one.
Based on it, try renting out the pistols that somewhat seems like what you prefer.
You can finalize the one which practically seems the best and the most comfortable. This way you will be able to find the one that is best for you without wasting hundreds of dollars.
In this context, note that those who have practiced with and are used to low caliber pistols might, in some cases, feel uncomfortable using a .40 caliber pistol. Just keep it in mind, so you can judge accordingly.
Factors to consider while selecting a house gun
Here are some main points/factors you can keep in mind while you hunt for your ideal safety gun:
- Size: A full-sized handgun is always better in defense purpose- of course. This is true and recommended especially in case of house defense. Users tend to get a better grip with a bigger gun. More importantly, there would be a greater surface to distribute the force to recoil. If you prefer small ones that you can carry around easily without attracting any attention, a small concealed carry might be good.
- Magazine capacity: It is better to have a higher capacity- that is, the number of rounds that the magazine accommodates at once. A minimum of 10 is recommended for the capacity. This helps in situations where there are more than one hostile or say when there is no time to get extra ammunition.
- Nigh sight: When considering a gun for home defense, give more preference to a gun that offers night sight. Certainly, criminals prefer low-light conditions for intrusions.
We have taken time experimenting and reviewing various guns before finalizing this list of best .40 cal pistols for money. We hope this gives you an insight into the kind of guns and features you can consider and compare.
You probably can shortlist the best ones and take the decision. Don’t rush, though. Take time analyzing the features you are looking for and then compare and decide!
Let us know your doubts and gun buying experience in the comment!